On Monday 28 May 2018 01:04:10 jeremy youngs wrote:

> I'm about to purchase the rpi 3 b to convert my other mill. I'm going
> to use the steppers I took off this matson . Probably 7i90 as well. I
> have a couple VGA monitor so I figured I'd get a HDMI to VGA cable .
> Is there any reason not to get this?
> eBay item number 323251929837

I needed another monitor anyway, and it came with an hdmi input. So I'm
using a plain hdmi both ends cable.

One thing I've been cautioned about is there are lots of this type of
adapters that aren't 2-way, so an EDID query is not replied to. This
makes getting x started in the proper scan rates the subject of writing
your own xinit stuff. I am using on the rock64, a similar but all in the
plug adaptor. It works at the monitors native scan rate when jessie is
booted, but not in stretch, so the pix is just a hair fuzzy in stretch
due to the pixel size miss-match. That particular monitor is not a 1080P
but a 1366x768, a bit of an oddball, ultra cheap AOC from Wallies. I use
both inputs on it, with a dell I use for mesaflashing on the other
input.

That links to 2 versions that look alike, but the bottom one says
hdmi-1.4. I think I'd gamble on the bottom one since they are both the
same cost.