On Wednesday 02 May 2018 21:30:32 Jon Elson wrote:

> > On Wednesday 02 May 2018 11:16:29 jeremy youngs wrote:
> >> Given my issues with this computer I have decided to stop beating a
> >> dead horse. I'm going to rpi 3 this thing.
>
> Yes, I agree with Gene, there are a number of decent X86
> motherboards that are known to work well with LinuxCNC.  I
> use old Dell Optiplex boxes.  Pentium 4 CPUs seem to work
> great with the rt-preempt kernel.
> I sell step generator and PWM boards, so these do not
> require the best latency.  With RTAI, you can get the jitter
> down to about 10 us, with rt-preempt it is more like 20 us.
> That is still FINE for systems with hardware motion
> controllers.  I just install from the live DVD and it all
> works.  (There is one gotcha, the Intel i810 on-board
> graphics is flaky with certain Linux drivers, so I had to
> put in an nvidia graphics board.
> So, make sure you have a PCI slot for that.)
>
> Jon

That is not a problem with either of my D525MW motherboards with dual
core intel atoms on them as I think those boards are i915 gfx.
One of them is even doing sw stepping. Runs well at up to 10 ipm, not bad
since its the teeny mill from HF about 20 years ago. I like to use it
for the occasions when I need to rig up to do some EDM. And I've found
distilled water is a better electrolyte than K2 for that.

That particular family of boards has been disco'ed for several years now
and word that its a good board seems to have gotten around, I saw one on
fleabay 6 months back being offered for 2x what it sold for new. Latency
is great and its power is well matched to what LCNC needs to run well.

And its not been a problem ever with the off lease dell optiplex I'm
running the G0704 with. It Just Works, and much faster with a 64GB SSD
in it for a drive.