On 10.05.18 19:02, Gene Heskett wrote:
> Anyway, I've made a box that can corral 100 of the "tap hats", all of
> which now have a 4mm cap screw in the side, whose head matches the slot
> I cut in the lip of the 7/8" R8's. So that problem is partially
> addressed.

That's one R8 collet for each size range of tap hats, I figure.
(Horizontal hold on the picture is a bit unsteady down here.)

> Thinking on finding the right sized drill for the axial thru-hole of the
> tap hat, and not yet investing in a quality (if such a beast exists
> today) set of letter drills, the thought comes to mind of EDM'ing 1
> lengthwise slot all the way to the bore, and 2 more about 25 thou short
> of the bore so I could use the collets compression to close the gap and
> arrive at a more accurately centered tap, with no rattle room left.  I
> like the idea, but not the time involved since those 3 slots will eat a
> days work per "hat" made. Skip that idea. But sleep on it.

What's the thinnest small slitting saw you can lay your hands on? Mebbe
something ex-dremel? It only needs to be big enough to slice through the
hide of a tap hat.

But, whoa. I'm also not fully across the need for bore adjustment. As
taps are ground from a few stock sizes, only those few sizes of tap hat
bore are needed. While I found a drill close enough for one size, and
bored the other, if I had to make a bunch of the latter, I'd probably
make up a D-bit reamer, and keep it with the tap hat kit.

> Go stuff a weeks worth of pills into my pill-tainer, and maybe something
> will come to mind.

Here it's carting firewood for the winter closing in; 200 armloads
stacked up under the eaves, now that the fire danger of a desperately
dry autumn has been replaced by rain and sleet. (Prayers to Thor answered.)

Erik