On 06/24/2018 09:43 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
Maybe we've gone full circle.  I just bought an $11 part on eBay.  I it is
a CPLD.  Like an FPGA but smaller and much less expensive and easier to
use.   The programming software has a mode where yu can call up a library
of old 74LSxxx parts and drop them on a canvas and draw lies between pins.
They have other functional blocks too, just see of them have the old 7400
numbers.    I did something silly wired a bunch some LEDs to a 4-bit
counters and watch in count in binary.   The 7400 series versions "Hello
World" but now I can do that with just one chip.    The little CLPD can
simulate maybe 100 7400 type chips and they can be clocked at 50MHz

SO it is the one chip solution that you wanted but the old SSI based
solution that engineer wanted t build.

My use for it was counting encoder pluses up to about 1MHz. but I found I
could do that with a microcontroler for 1/3rd the cost and size.

The older Xilinx packages still have schematic entry with 74xx generic parts, as well as a library of generic gates, FFs, muxes and demuxes, etc. The XC9536XL is about $1 in the 44-pin package, and runs off a single 3.3 V supply. That is new single-unit price from Digi-Key.

I've stopped using the schematic entry stuff and learned VHDL. But, these things are amazingly powerful, fast, and not too-hard to program.

Jon