On Tue, Sep 25, 2018 at 1:04 AM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I can't help thinking that the way to determine the amount of
> correction needed is to actually machine a test bar and measure it.

A laser beam is straighter than any bar.  and is quicker and costs less.
What you do is place a camera in the tool holder and watch the beam move as
you move the carriage.   You can measure at the micrometer level typically
1/10th  the pixel size.

We live in a time when  "nuts" level measurements is easy and cheap. for
example:  I just bought a pair of BMP280 barometer chips on eBay for $6.  I
have a live graph on my iMac showing the air pressure vs. time.   The chip
is simple, just an I2C serial output.   I can see the plot on the screen
move as I move the chip up and down.  Clearly I see that the air is thinner
10 inches above my desk then it is 2 inches above my desk.   It is a
sensitive altimeter for $3.   Upstairs I have an oscillator that runs at
10.000000000000 Mhz and all 13 of those zeros are significant.    I have
about $100 invested it that if you count all the parts.

> --
> atp
> "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> lunatics."
> — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1916

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California