On Saturday 27 October 2018 21:46:59 Alan Condit wrote:

> I have a homemade encoder on my lathe spindle. I am feeding the
> encoder outputs into the encoder spindle inputs on the 7I76. The
> reported rpm seems to be fluctuating wildly. I want to look at the
> signals to see if the width of the signals is about the same for the
> index on time and for channel A and B on and off times. Is it possible
> to look at the encoder signals with hal scope? Or do I need to drag my
> oscilloscope out to the shop. I don’t see the pins in the hal file.
>
> Am I even thinking about this correctly?
>
> Alan

You will have to drag it out Alan, the halscope is simply not fast
enough. And look at the bobs output.

And home-made I've done, but you have to resort to hal tricks , or at
least I have if the encoders resolution is greater than 2 degrees a
passing edge. I was plumb amazed that with a 1000 line encoder on the
tail end of the motor shaft, with scales in the 7000 to 14000 range,
that I was able to run the P-Gain from 3 on up to the 20-40 area.
Spindle speed control is so accurate that until the chirp of the current
limit of the pwm-servo I'm driving that motor to around the 2 hp mark
with, I have no clue that its working that hard. So I would highly
recommend a higher resolution encoder.

The encoder I bought on ebay for about a $20 bill turned out to have
differential outputs that I had to use a couple rs485 boards $1 each
these daysto make it a single ended signal, which meant I had to bypass
the opto's on the bob to get a clean signal into a 5i25 card. Otherwise
it was way too fast to get a usable signal into the 5i25.