On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 10:59 AM Peter C. Wallace <p...@mesanet.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2018, Chris Albertson wrote:
>
> > Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 10:41:14 -0700
> > From: Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com>
> > To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> >
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] 5I25-7i76 encoder output
> >
> > On Sun, Oct 28, 2018 at 5:15 AM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> The Mesa Encoder uses both methods combined = delta_counts/delta_time, so
> for
> example if you have 7 counts between servo thread times, the velocity will
> be
> calculated as 7/(time from first to last edge of those 7 counts)
> This is optimum for most uses.

Yes, that woud work well.  So many times they effecivly divide by the
sample period and don't actualy measure the actual times of the edges.
This gives them a the kind of  jitter in RPM that was reprted.    So how
does it work?   There must be a micro or nano second counter on the FPGA
that gets sampled.

--

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California