On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 22:50, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

> I've made several passes at learning one pkg or another, but after half
> an hour without making any real progress, I'm back to measuring and
> defining points and writing gcode by hand.

There is a lot to be said for drawing in a CAD package and then
letting that calculate the start and end points of the lines and
curves.
(Or, in the case of a D-sub where the corner radius is likely to be
the tool radius, just work out the required tool centre points.)

I recorded a quick video of one way to sketch a D-sub (Autodesk
Inventor, but would be the same in Fusion 360).
Unfortunately the screen recorder doesn't show the on-screen pop-ups
where one enters dimensions.

https://youtu.be/0hA4EKDA8IY

Pick construction geometry
Draw a rectangle of a size that matches the D-sub dimensions (noting
that it is a mid-point dimension on the angled sides)
Draw a vertical line to use to anchor the sketch to the origin point
Draw a horizontal line to locate the mounting holes.
Switch to part geometry
Roughly draw the outline specifically not in the right place to avoid
auto-constraints causing trouble.
Pin the horizontal lines with a colinear constraint
Fillet the corners
Dimension the edge angles
Constrain the sloping edges to the width dimension centre points with
a coincident constraint
Then dimension the arc start, end and centre relative to the sketch origin.

--
atp
lunatics."