On 12/19/2018 06:07 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 22:50, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:

I've made several passes at learning one pkg or another, but after half
an hour without making any real progress, I'm back to measuring and
defining points and writing gcode by hand.

Well, my solution to this was to write small programs that created pretty optimal G-code for the
kind of operations I frequently need.  See :
http://pico-systems.com/gcode.html
for some of these. Milling out holes and rectangular cutouts, and patterns of holes to drill.
Source code in C can be downloaded.
I use these programs for a wide variety of things, rather than CAD/CAM drawings. You make a bunch of these small G-code sections for all the features on the part, then stitch them together in a text editor. I find it a lot faster than making a CAD drawing.

I have some more sophisticated versions here that I should update to the online page.

Jon