Excuse my ignorance.  The G Code selects a tool by #.  The operator has placed
the tools into the numbered positions for the tool changer.

Now here I guess it gets interesting.  Most efficient would be if the G-Code
Parser read ahead and signaled the tool changer object that it will need tool #
Y next.  The tool changer moves and loads the tool into the other side of the
swing arm.  The carousel then moves back to the position X which is the tool
currently in use.

When the tool change request finally happens, the arm gets the current tool X,
swings around and loads tool Y.  The machine continues while the tool changer
puts tool X back in place.   The tool changer then asks the G-Code parser for
the next tool.

Way back in the very early nineties I worked on what are called TRIM & FORM
machines.  They bent and trimmed the leads on integrated circuits.    All CAN
bus linked and used a REQ, BUSY, AVAIL, RDY handshaking messages.  The Press or
the Laser marker would just issue a REQ.  The pocket tray loader, once it had
the part ready to be picked up or moved would issue an AVAIL.  Different people
worked on different modules.

The tool changer should be thought of as a similar module.  Request a tool.
Get the tool.  Handle requests for next tool.  Be RDY to supply the next tool.
And so on.

Am I missing something?
John