On Tuesday 29 January 2019 18:50:59 Ed wrote:

> On 1/29/19 3:44 PM, andy pugh wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jan 2019 at 21:29, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> >> Greetings all;
> >>
> >> I just found the only way to cut this panel alu is to keep the tool
> >> cold with a blast of air at around 125 psi blowing on the nut and
> >> tool.
> >
> > Sounds like a job for an MQL system (Minimal Quantity Lubrication,
> > air-blast and ahint of oil), as I don't think that machine is likely
> > to best-suited to flood coolant.

Which is why I said I'd put a coat of sealer on the bottom of the bed,
then tilt it so it would drain well into a recovery chute.

> > Here is a cheap attempt: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNLuPgr7NdY
>
> I use a air line lubricator regulated down to 5 to 10 PSI blowing
> coolant mix through a 1/4"  Loc Line with a 1/8" nozzle. Works great
> without putting mist in the air, it just kinda splatters it on.

I made a home made thingy out of a brass block and some really teeny
brass tubeing in a coaxial arrangement where the air exited around the
oil feed tube.  Made a very fine mist and did a good job of keeping a
1/4" end mill from plugging up, several years back that seemed to work
well, but put 6 oz of safflower oil into the shop air in 3 hours run
time while makeing a 6x6x2 pillow for a big bearing in the transmitters
heat exchanger. The bearings were fafner, with the eccentric collars
that had worked loose too many times in 50 years of running and wore the
shaft down, so I had to move the bearing out to fresh shaft by about 2"
to make even new bearings run true. Too high an air pressure at about 20
psi from an air brush regulator. Didn't do my lungs or my glasses any
favors.  I get the impression that with this gummy alu, temps, as in
cold, are far more important than lube.  Some LN2 perhaps?

When the bit plugged up and ripped that panel off its anchoring screws,
the whole panel was well above cutting oil vaporization temps and it was
about 5 minutes blowing on it with an air hose before I could handle it.
And it was running ankle deep in cutting oil at the time. So I think the
word for this is coolant. Slowly pouring right on the tool. We'll figure
something out since I have to do two of these interfaces.

Thanks Ed.