On Wednesday 30 January 2019 10:18:05 Stuart Stevenson wrote:

> Are you cutting holes from solid or cutting the periphery of a shape?

Drawing the outside edge of the tool in a circle, dropping the plug in
the middle most of the time, with z feed rates of about 10 thou per trip
around the circle.  Panel is soft alu, about 80 thou thick.

The subroutine used:

( arguments passed are #1 tool_rad, #2 holerad #3 xloc, #4 yloc, #5 feed
rate)
o130 SUB
G40
F#5 (feed rate)
( MAKE SURE IT CLEARS )
G0 Z#<_ZUP> ( clear work)
( go to center of hole )
G0 X#3  Y#4
( drop tool close to work)
G0 Z0.02
G1 F#5 X[#3 + #2 - #1] ( goto where edge of holestarts )
G3 I[-#2 + #1] J-0.000 Z#<_ZDN> P12 (I've had as low as 8 for the P)
G1 F5 x#3 Y#4 ( back to center of hole slow as full depth cut in case
plug still there)
G0 Z#<_ZUP> (back to clear)

o130 ENDSUB

ZUP is about 40 thou above work, ZDN is about 30 thou into the spoil
board. Cherry in this instance, came from the scrap pile behind the chop
saw.

[...]

Thanks Stuart.