On Friday 22 February 2019 19:20:36 Peter C. Wallace wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2019, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2019 17:10:16 -0500
> > From: Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> > To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
> > Subject: Re: [Emc-users] head scratcher, updated
> >
> > On Friday 22 February 2019 16:06:46 Przemek Klosowski wrote:

> >> reinstall? It' should rewrite the boot areas memtest uses, in case
> >> they got corrupted
> >
> > I gave that a fleeting thought, so fleeting I had  forgotten about
> > it by the time I'd refilled my coffee cup.
> >
> > Now, for PCW;
> > I have it running an admittedly stripped to the bones config.
> > Nothing is actually hooked up to the machine. But I can home it w/o
> > motion, and I can jug the dros to the iii file set limits.
> > In my old hal file I had:
> > setp stepgen.0.min_limit [AXIS_X]MIN_LIMIT
> > I put that in the new file and its a no-no, pin
> > hm2_5i25.0.stepgen.0.0.min_limit does not exist. In fact no min or
> > max_limits show except as ini.data visible to a halmeter.  Yet the
> > dro's stop at the limits set in the ini file under
> > [AXIS_(xyz)]MIN_LIMIT or MAX_LIMIT.
>
> I dont think there has ever been a stepgen limit
> Is it possible you went a bit overboard with find+replace?

These are the axis "soft" limits. You normally set them relative to the
absolute $home of an axis (g53 measurements) to prevent its running into
the mechanical limits, usually I set them about 25 thou off the crash
points for each axis. When software stepping, they are
stepgen.N.min_limit and stepgen.N.max_limit. But there are no such
critters in the 5i25 stepgen's.  It apparently depends on axis to set
and enforce those, and I hadn't noticed they were missing in the hal
files I've hand carved previously.

So now I think I understand how they work, but it was a surprise when
setting it, that hal said it was no longer present, so I couldn't setp
it. Panic time till I figured it out. :)

Tomorrow, since I'm waiting yet on a slow junk from China, I'll cut up
some cable and see if I can get it to run the vfd with the 7i76 spindle
controls. I think I'll need 5 conductors so I should be able to do it in
one 5 pin connector, if the pot common is also the ground reference for
spinena and spindir. Most of the vfd's I've had, (a sample of one, which
I'm running with a spinx1) share that. That I haven't verified with a
meter yet on this vfd...

I did get the imitation Renishaw yesterday, and I certainly can't wax
poetic about it. Very poorly made IMO.

Thank you Peter.