Jon,
You make a very good point.  Why bother, with the new 32 bit controllers that
do so much even bother with the antiquated idea that the LinuxCNC PC should
close the loop on positioning.  Running encoders from a servo motor back into
the PC to some sort of controller board that creates +/- 10V out is now not
really a good option.

Whether it's a PC with a plug in card running LinuxCNC or a BeagleBone Black
running MachineKit there's not much point.
Or is there?

For a lathe, spindle tracking in order to move the carriage and if also
tapering at the same time to track and move the cross slide does require
something tightly coupled.

So a Pi with an external STM32 may well send step/dir signals or SPI based
messages to the driver but tracking that spindle encoder for threading is a bit
more intensive.

John Dammeyer
http://www.autoartisans.com