> Jon,
> You make a very good point.  Why bother, with the new 32 bit controllers that
> do so much even bother with the antiquated idea that the LinuxCNC PC should
> close the loop on positioning.  Running encoders from a servo motor back into
> the PC to some sort of controller board that creates +/- 10V out is now not
> really a good option.

To locally close the control is the best option and the method I use. Values
sent for position and encoder values are still the same but I do not have a PID.

If a +/- 10V signal is used with local feedback there will be nested control
loops which may add problems but local speed control loop and linuxcnc position
control loop might work well. Analog signals may have a high update rate.

Nicklas Karlsson