On 11.03.19 10:48, Chris Albertson wrote:
> Another option.  Here in So Calif on the "west side" home prices start
> at about $1M.  So the math works differently from say Rural Oklahoma.
> A $25,000 electrical system only adds 2.5% to the price of the home
> and less percent to the more expensive homes.  So if you are building
> a new house that will sell for over $1M (every house here is like
> that) Tesla's "solar roof" can "work" because you save the cost of a
> tile roof.
> https://www.tesla.com/solarroof
> People are skeptical of these so Tesla offers a lifetime warranty.
> They claim a "forever" warranty.  Not many conventional roofers will
> offer a "forever" warranty but these are made of tempered glass and
> you would never need a new roof.

My brother is wildly keen on that technology, and it looks great for
more polar climes, but I'm a bit dubious of its suitability for
conditions here. If a panel reflects 7% of insolation, and converts 20%,
then 73% of the 1 kW/m² summer sun is absorbed. On a 45°C (113°F) day¹,
panels will be over 70°C (158°F), requiring a lot of roof insulation.
The white roof I've chosen is 77% reflective, and the 200 mm recommended
minimum under-array airgap allows convective cooling, especially with
the 30° roof angle. Better a shade sail than an in-built solar roofspace
heater, I figure. (Here we put most of the insulation on the ceiling,
much less under the roof.)

Mind you, it's no hotter than a tile roof, is cool technology, and looks
splendid ... I'd only have to beef up the aircon.

Erik

¹ OK, only had one of those here this summer, but I'm on the coolest end
of the mainland.