Jon,

You are making me feel old; just a fact of life. :-) IIRC I had the first PPMC board set out the door. Once one got the connector tied down that beastie was rock solid. The communication diagnostic was a life saver. Easy way to confirm that the communication was working and it would/could run for days without an error. Get the communication working and you were off and running. Where else does  one get a nominal 16 bit controller?

Dave