On Thursday 01 August 2019 02:59:37 andy pugh wrote:

> On Thu, 1 Aug 2019 at 04:36, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
>
> output of arcgenm18.py is assumeing G17. not G18.  So I need to
>
> > translate the ijk into what it would be for G18 motion. Is there a
> > rule of thumb for that?
>
> G17 XY IJ
> G18 XZ IK
> G19 YZ JK

Thank you.

> So to change a G17 arc to a G18 change Y to Z and J to K.
>
> You won't get a true segment of a cylinder with a cylindrical tool.
> Which was why I suggested a rotating disc that looks like an actual
> Woodruff cutter.

Of no concern, the back of the key has a flat area, something like the
rear .075"  is removed from a key that would be if a full 3/4" circle,
such that the key is only .3" deep, not .375". So the flat spot in the
middle that a cylindrical tool cutting on the end of it while doing a
180 degree circle's run in G18 mode is actually fitting the key better
than a regular key cutter. If in cuttable steel useing a key mill, one
would have to cut straight in to needed depth, then advance the cutter
lengthwise by at least 3/8" in order to duplicate the shape of the key.

With the lack of working room, and the need to figure out how to keep the
key from tipping when its entering the groove in the pulley, its a right
cast iron bitch to fit.  So IF I can locate another capacitor (the guy
in Bulgaria that has all the soviet surplus is out of pocket till late
August, caps like this have not been made in any great qty since there
was a run on them  when it became sick bird to use pcb's over here,
about 30 years back. It cost the station around $20K to get rid of most
of what we had by having Westinghouse send a truck to pick it up and
burn it at nearly 7000F, pcb's are dambed hard to destroy) This now
failed one was spared the fire by not having a pyranol on its label at
the time. Modern plastic caps to replace it are $100+ and probably only
available as 30 yo NOS.

So, since that pulley now has a taperlock, I think I'll just make sure
its pulled up as well as I can get it, relying on the taperlock to
freeze it on the shaft. This new shaft, being unworn, fits the hub of
that pulley with a lot less rattle room, and the twin grub screws can
probably be adjusted to reduce the runout if I can get a dial to it to
measure it.

But I need to find something ASAP or the shaft will start rusting sitting
there in the water...

 - Louis D. Brandeis