On Wednesday 28 August 2019 23:18:28 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Yeah the backlash is pretty bad but even back in May 2007 when I
> bought it the cost for all that mass was quite low.  Now Grizzly
> doesn't even sell that model anymore and the closest unit is almost
> double.  Add an exchange rate of over 30% and installing ball screws
> will be cheap and has always been in the plans.
>
> I bought mine in Canada from House of Tools which is no longer around.
>   But this link will get you to it at Grizzly
> https://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(g3616)

And the spec sheet doesn't list backlash.  And backlash above 10 thou can
get quickly messy.  And those screws aren't Nooks. I'd be looking for a
ball screw kit on fleabay. That will reduce the backlash to around a
thou and things will be much happier. They will also need 5% of the
motor torque to turn them compared to the acme or square thread screws
in it now.

 - Louis D. Brandeis