On Thursday 29 August 2019 01:24:19 John Dammeyer wrote:

> [...]

I have made adjustable, double nutted nooks, on 1/2" screws, but the nuts
are around $50 a copy. Got backlash in the thou range but it took a big
motor to spin it too.

I have a 1450mm long 25mm screw on my Sheldon 11x54. I put covering
bellows over the screw on each side of the nut to keep the swarf at bay.
Then I mounted the nut to a newly made apron plate such that the grease
fitting was reachable. The only fly in that setup is that the left
bellows is compressed enough to start lifting the carriage off the v-way
when the carriage is under the chuck, and that effected the accuracy of
the re-grind of the MT5 in the spindle bore a wee bit.  Seems the
spindle was bent about 7 thou by the weight of the mounted chuck when it
fell over and broke the compound beyond repair. Long before it followed
me home. My z motion is limited to around 60 ipm by the motor, a 1600
oz/in nema 34 whose inductance severely limits its top speed when only
55 volts is available. Taking that motor off the go704 and replacing it
with a 954 oz/in and an AC powered driver took the go704's z from 27 ipm
to over 100 ipm, and I then used that motor on the sheldon, I should do
the same with the sheldon.  Its a poor motor for almost anything but the
knee of a big mill.

I have no problems with screw whip at the speeds I can move it now. I
have considered remaking the apron as there is about 3/4" of room the
nut could move to the right, which would ease the squeeze on the left
hand bellows but while a new plate is on site, I've misslaid my round
tuit. :) I'd also have to arrange an extension grease fitting. It worked
well while replacing the barrel on "old meat in the pot" which a smaller
bore in deference to the old mans shoulder telling him the 30-06 Ackley
Improved he'd shot out 4 of since back in the 60's, was way more gun
than needed in WV's hills.  So its now a 6.5 Creedmore, much easier on
the shoulder and I'm still looking for that magic 1/2" load. 1" is easy,
does that with almost everything I feed it.

Since the nut on the Z is stopped at a foot or more from either ends
hanger bearings, I don't see much of a chance at whip being a huge
problem on mine.

OTOH, I'd need to see how the apron on that one could be modified (or
replaced as I did my old Sheldon) to mount the nut. I've even considered
reversing the nuts install on the screw and putting it on the right hand
edge of the aprons back, but that just moves the bellows crush problem
to the tail stock end of the screw.  Sigh...

 - Louis D. Brandeis