On Wednesday 18 September 2019 12:46:15 Andy Howell wrote:

> Our high school has a couple gantry based CNC routers running version
> 2.5. From perusing the list, it seems like 2.8 is fairly stable even
> though its not released. I've got a pendant and some other add-ons I
> want to install. I'd rather put the effort into getting them working
> on a new system than battling with the old one.
>
> This would be a fresh install, on a new hard disk. If I run into
> issues I need to be able to fall back quickly.
>
> I'm comfortable with compiling from source if need be, but was hoping
> that there is an ISO out there that I could use.
>
> I installed in a VM for testing purposes going off
> https://forum.linuxcnc.org/9-installing-linuxcnc/36413-linuxcnc-debian
>-9-stretch-uspace-2-7-to-2-8. I ended up with 2.9 instead of 2.8. I can
> grab the 2.8 branch from git.
>
> I don't have a specific need for 2.8 over 2.7. I want to avoid
> installing 2.7 and having 2.8 come out soon after.
>
> Are there any reasons I should not attempt 2.8?
>
> Is there anything I can do to help nudge 2.8 along?
>
> Thanks,
>
>      Andy

I'd not have any 2nd thoughts about 2.9, its master, and with only 3 or 4
exceptions over the last several years I've been running master, what
ever version it claimed, with relatively little drama. Generally the
progress has been forward, and If I've had a problem, the fix has been
by return email on this list. A few hours at most.  So have at it.

 - Louis D. Brandeis