> On Sunday 06 October 2019 16:07:16 Stuart Stevenson wrote:
>
> > You don't need a boring head. An end mill adapter/holder will work
> > just fine.
>
> > On Sun, Oct 6, 2019, 2:22 PM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
> wrote:
> I keep forgetting the circle can be drawn by a helical xy path, dropping
> z at the right pitch. Great idea Stuart, just haven't tried it yet.

That's assuming you have 0 backlash or your backlash compensation works
perfectly as you move in and out of climb milling.   I find I still get better
holes with a boring head for slip fitting ball bearing races for example.  But
if all you want is a round access hole and the transitions aren't important
then a boring tool is a lot of work compared to G-Codes.

Now if I had preloaded ball screws on X and Y then I suspect the boring head
will become redundant.

John