On Tuesday 15 October 2019 05:07:35 Gregg Eshelman via Emc-users wrote:

> How old is this PC you have Windows 10 on? I've found it to run pretty
> snappily on any dual core box or laptop as old as 2005, as long as it
> can have at least 4 gig RAM. Win 10 is the first version of Windows to
> have *lower* system hardware requirements than its predecessors, and
> this time those minimal requirements were not of the "Sure, it'll
> work, but you won't be able to stand to use it." variety. Win 10 will
> run-ish with only 2 gig RAM, even the 64 bit version. But if the PC
> tops out at 2 gig it's best to stick to 32 bit, in any operating
> system. What's your CPU? If it's only single core, that's the biggest
> bottleneck for Win 10. It's very much optimized for 2 or more CPUs or
> cores. The good news there is that many older dual core CPUs are dirt
> cheap. Under $20, often way under. A Core 2 Duo or Quad will run
> Windows 10 nicely. The Core Duo series that preceded it? Not so well.
> The 2 is important. Any 2+ core AMD CPU from the Phenom II series up
> will run Windows 10 at a decent pace. No previous version of Windows
> has ever run so well on 10+ year old hardware.
>
> Run CPUID on it to find out exactly what the board and CPU are, then
> it can be found out if a cheap CPU and RAM upgrade is possible to get
> it up to tolerable speed. I dunno how well (or if) Win 10 tolerates
> upgrading from a single to multi-core CPU. I do recall that it took
> some tinkering to change up from a single to 2+ core CPU on XP without
> having to reinstall.
>
> Places like Newegg, Tiger Direct and others have surplus and
> refurbished Dell, HP and other OEM PCs that are cheap, a couple of
> years old, and will run Windows 10 very well, most of them shipped
> with Win 10.

Well, I bought the least expensive ($375) all-in-one desktop from
wally's.  Obviously not that well endowed. It runs the application well,
once it get thru calling home or whatever it does before it decides to
let me run the app, which is to act as a display for a vector network
analyzer. For low frequency stuff up to 62 megahertz.  Which itself is
about the size of a pair of rpi's.

> I just built a Ryzen 5 3400G box for a client. 16 gig RAM and a 1TB
> NVME style SSD. Boots in about 30 seconds. I haven't timed it yet but
> it is *fast*. The SSD benchmark with ATTO topped out around 3,000
> megabytes per second. Total cost, including an OEM copy of Win 10 Pro
> x64 and a refurbished 32" HP 2K monitor was around $850. The most
> difficult part was finding a case with two 5.25" bays *without* a
> silly front door, *without* silly tempered glass or clear plastic side
> panels, and *without* silly RGB LED lighting. Still couldn't come up
> with a decent mATX Socket AM4 motherboard that didn't have integrated
> RGB LED lighting control. Turned those off in BIOS first thing after
> assembling the parts. On Monday, October 14, 2019, 10:56:41 PM MDT,
> Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote: But whats the cost of that
> level of integration?  Which will be paid for by the seat. Whoever
> that IT guy is that can do that, likes to eat and drive nice cars.
> I've one windows 10 home edition pc, and its at least 10 minutes to
> boot and run the application I bought it for. But because that app
> needs superuser to run it, and windows makes it extremely non-obvious
> how to get "root", I have to learn how to do that all over again each
> time. And success at acessing that part of the menu apparently is
> controlled by the phase of the rip tide in the Bay of Fundy and which
> side of your mouth is holding a wad of Kentucky Twist. And I don't use
> tobacco now since 30 years ago.  If it wasn't for that app, there
> would not be a windows pc on my property. I don't have time for that
> level of obnoxiousness they call security.

 - Louis D. Brandeis