On 01/26/2020 09:10 AM, andy pugh wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jan 2020 at 05:34, bari <bari00...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think NML is what turns off new developers.
Most will never need to touch it. I never have, and I have been pretty
deep inside LinuxCNC.

NML has some inefficiencies, but does what is needed for single-node systems. The place it breaks down, and why the machinekit group worked to replace it, is that is becomes very resource-intensive when you try to share the internal state of LinuxCNC across a network. This is because the system state is a single unified chunk of memory. The Machinekit folks used Zero MQ to make it possible for remote processes to only receive the specific data structures they request, vastly reducing network overhead. Their goal was to be able to make very complicated workcells with multiple robots passing through shared
3D spaces without interference.

But, for a single 3-5 axis machine running ordinary G-code, NML still works OK.

Jon