Hi Dave

On 1/27/20 11:39 PM, dave engvall wrote:
Linuxcnc get used because it works ... at least well enough to get most jobs done.

I hope Gene gets something workable out of the Rpi4; that looks promising.

yes I hope I can retrace his work and build one.

My vision of a new system is something very modular. Small boards running a microcontroller with some chance of the chip not disappearing too soon. Maybe that means burning FPGA's for each task and  hoping you can reuse most of the code on the next gen or two.

Thats an interesting way to extend life ( heh I still have PALs that i use )

An Z80 core clone (for example ) is opensource. so as long as FPGAs are around, so are old processors.

Communication between boards via ZMQ. Use one for motion, another for task and other necessary bits and pieces.

hmm we fall back into the division/rewrite wars... I cant write the code so I cant join in the battle.

 Does  someone have a better idea than X for the display?

the Xmotion LinuxCNC project used the framebuffer, but there's been no updates for over a year

I hoped that it would get rid of the evilGL ;-) and let puny pi's run LinuxCNC.

( trademark that   punypi ;-)

The supplied code never ran for me, but I saw a video so it must be true ;-)

Has anyone tried a browser as a GUI?

I think Michael and MachineKit had preliminary functionality years ago,

( had some buttons and results from pressing them )

here's something more recent https://machinekoder.com/web-uis-for-machinekit/

Speaking of funding; I think the task is too big and diverse for crowd-funding.

If someone really wants to get radical then write a controller that is all NURBS including the straight lines. Of course that also demands a cheap and usable CAD/CAM. I don't think one hands codes NURBS ... ;-)  However that might take care of some of the lookahead problems. Just dreaming. Ha!

......Back to resurrecting my Mazak.

Dave

best o luck on the Mazak

TomP