I think it comes down to constructing lines perp to the profile at probed points. CMM's obviously take care of this somehow.

I've done it the hard way by drawing circles the diameter of the probe and then doing three pt arcs to fit. Certainly there are better and considerably more elegant ways to do this. What I can visualize in concept I cannot convert to good calculations. ;-)  I passed calculus but knew better than to try dif-e-q. A second order curve fit tangent to multiple circles might be a better approach.

"Implementation is left as an exercise for the student."  :-)

Dave