On 2/7/2020 5:31 PM, Andy Pugh wrote:

On 7 Feb 2020, at 23:45, Greg Bernard <marzetti...@gmail.com> wrote:

That is interesting and useful, but I wonder if probing the important
features and simply tracing a scan or a photograph of the profile in CAD
would be quicker and easier for that particular part.
Possibly, but at least this way it is definitely scaled in mm, and furthermore
the same mm as my mill.

I either do a direct scan of the part, or trace on paper then scan, and bring the bitmap into Inkscape.    From there I convert it to svg, and let Inkscape find the edges, save the profile as a dxf, and bring that into CAD.  It's usually easy to get < .5mm accuracy. With extra care and some tweaking in Inscape it's not impossible to hit .25 - .30 mm edge to edge accuracy, especially from a direct scan.  If the part is scan-able, it also works for locating holes and pockets.  Large parts can be scanned in sections and stitched together in the tool.  Unfortunately , even .25 isn't good enough for some applications.

When I saw the video, I couldn't help but wonder if there isn't a faster way to probe yet still maintain accuracy.  I thought about a hybrid approach, where you take that profile from Inkscape and feed it to a routine that probes the actual part, but now from within a 1-2mm envelope of the provided profile.  If the profile has long straight edges, the routine need only probe the beginning and the end of that line.   "Smart probing"! Just a thought.