I've seen mention of the Axis interface being "old fashioned", geesh
what would happen with an extended ASCII interface ?

Maybe cnc routers could be a "plug n play" usually the setups are
relatively easy, materials are more or less flat sheets.

When one starts to delve into milling, well that's a different kettle of
fish. How much time is spent thinking about a setup, then implementing
the setup. In some jobs the actual machining time can seem trivial
compared to the setup. This is where the real skill comes into play,
something I'm still learning and very much in the novice corner in that
respect.

Now what will be the reaction of a user who wants a "plug n play"
solution when they find out about the time spent in setups ?

As much as the Arduino is a great product, it has taken the focus away
from discrete components and to focus on "everything can be done in
software". There are quite a few projects that seem to use an arduino
when it's not really required.

Linuxcnc is somewhat easy to customise by the use of hal comps, would an
embedded system aid in that ?

But I guess the "hipster maker fanbase" wouldn't care, as long as they
can post their latest gizmo on social media.

In relation to Open Source, it's the people who use the software
produced by the project that are creating it. Not some programmer
grinding out code for a day job, that needs an a middle man to be
between the end user & programmer. If that relationship isn't great well
then......

It's seems that this thread is turning more towards an embedded solution
rather than the PC solution Linuxcnc is.

As someone mentioned some of the ideas expressed seem to be more in the
realm of the Machinekit project.