On Saturday 15 February 2020 15:07:11 Stuart Stevenson wrote:

> [...]
> any other then - Feel free to do it and release it. Make your newer
> and better truly newer and better. That is the beauty and hindrance of
> LinuxCNC. It is open to whatever YOU want to do with it. If you want
> to take LinuxCNC and develop it for your own use and not release any
> of 'your' system you are free to do that as well. I would happily try
> out your embedded version. The hindrance is if you will not or can not
> develop the system you want you will need to wait until someone with
> the will and the way does it. That can be frustrating.
>  A third way is paying someone to develop it for you.
>
> I will have to agree with you on the metric system. But alas, you and
> I are not the only ones here.
>
> On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 12:23 PM Rafael Skodlar <ra...@linwin.com>
wrote:

> > > We haven't. Someone just thinks new or different is better.
> > > Someone that
> >
> > And you? You think that doing things the same old way is better?
> > Steam engine driving machines with pulley transmission in your work
> > shop?
> >
> > When I was little, we had to pull the weeds by bare hands on a small
> > farm. Our family would prefer doing it this way:
> > https://agerris.com/
> > https://farmwise.io/
> > https://www.deepfield-robotics.com/en/
> >
> > Only people who think differently in a positive way make a positive
> > difference. Have you heard about little automobile company Tesla
> > that happens to be a bike ride from my home?
> >
> > > has not really worked much with CNC machines but does have an idea
> > > that they think would make things better. It would be newer
> > > without
> >
> > In my case, true. However I see what others with lots of $$$ in the
> > industry are doing. It would be beneficial for small shops or
> > hobbyists to use similar things on a smaller scale. No need for
> > running test on the motherboard to ensure RT kernel will work as
> > expected.
> >
> > That's how PC industry started in the 1970s. People started copying
> > SW and HW ideas from mainframes. I'm not inventing anything here.
> > Just pointing to possibility to simplify LinuxCNC and expand it's
> > use.
> >
> > > explaining why it would be better, only telling us that it will be
> > > better. So they think newer is better just because it is newer. I
> > > hope I have cleared this up.  :)
> >
> > Explanation or hints were given by others and myself. For some it's
> > obvious, for others it's not. History is full of naysayers to
> > everything new.
> >
> > > Newer is better. Look into my eyes and repeat "newer is better".
> >
> > Looking into your anonymous eyes:
> > Metric system is 200 years old. Some of us know it's better since my
> > grandma told me so long ago. Yet whole North American Continent is
> > stuck on archaic system that is based on dead British king finger,
> > foot, and butt size. So "newer is better".

Way past due imnsho. Because of my background of lassoing electrons and
making them do usefull work for us humans, at least half of what I do on
these machines is done in the metric mode. Twouldn't bither me a bot if
it all changed tomorrow.

Where they really screwed the moose back then was in playing with gas
pumps first and not posting the gallon equ.  They made everybody carry a
pocket calc to find out what the price in gallons was.  BIIIIIG MISTAKE,
John and Jane Doe just drove around the corner to a station that still
sold gallons. Eventually the metric pumps wound up in the landfill
because the stations that bought into that BS were starving. I
personally think it was designed to fail.  How quick was the real
question.

> > Need explanation?
> >
> > --
> > Rafael