> > There are plenty and quite many scientific articles available for free on
> > Internet. Universities at least have some check, quite often a written Exam
> > before course could be passed, a little hard to check what kind of
> > books/articles someone have read and even more so what they might have
> > learned.
>
> There is a difference between knowing something and passing exams. Who
> would you trust more? Someone who is self taught and has recent
> experience or someone who passed the exam 10 years ago and has never
> touched the subject since?

Depends if they have read the necessary literature, even a welder or carpenter
need to read some literature (read a little bit about welding), if they still
have books they might learn fast again. In Sweden I think it is possible to get
into university using proven knowledge/competence but it seldom or never happen.

> If you need proof of someone's competence then test results are indeed a
> reasonable indicator, as long as those results are relatively recent. In
> that case there is nothing stopping the self taught person from taking
> the tests. Anyone who passes the test has the required knowledge to pass
> the test, no matter how they learned it. Of course you are relying on
> the test asking the right questions.

If you learned once it will be must faster next time. Used Java in programming
course at University, read books about C/C++ and used it professionally then
needed for 10 years, many of the concepts are similar but I had not been able
to learn without reading the books.

> > Met this attitude then working, "it will all be fine if we just get the
> > project".
>
> No, that's just putting your head in the sand and hoping for the best.

Major problem is ass sticking out in comfortable height.