Les - Valuable comments, however, some facts.

I'm and BSc electrical engineer and worked as an industrial control engineer
with PLC, servos etc for a number of years.

I have 2 complete PC with Mesa servo drives, wiring, machines retrofitted etc.
I been following LinuxCNC for a long time, even years before when it was EMC2.

I have tried 4+ times over the years to get it all to work. I have yet to get
a one system up and running !!!!!!

I do understand that my Linux is limited and that is probably the biggest
factor.

I can buy stuff off the shelf from China and get it working, even Mach3 is
easy.

The only reason I went LinuxCNC is that I can retain the handwheels and use
servo drives.

I am going to make space in my calender this year to try again as I can see
that having it running would be a nice compliment to my SouthWestern
Indistries mill. Thread milling would be great.

PS I forgot, spent 15 years as a commercial programmer.

Cheers Wallace