On 2/19/20 4:16 AM, Les Newell wrote:
On 18/02/2020 23:54, Marshland Engineering wrote:
Just a correction, I have setup a few stepper systems with LinuxCNC and step and direction is no problem. The problems came in when using 2KW servo drives
and linear scales on the axis.

The subject of using linear scales for feedback pops up every so often on this list and always the recommendation is not to do it. I just checked back through the list history and you were also told this. It's not a LinuxCNC or competence issue. It's a hardware issue.

Feedback loops like a very stiff connection between the motor and the encoder. Even a tiny amount of backlash or spring has a major effect on loop stability. Have you ever tried driving a car with badly worn steering? It's hard to keep a straight line. Linear scales have have the same effect on the feedback loop. If you fit encoders directly on your motors most of your tuning issues will go away. If the machine is very stiff and has very little backlash you MAY get away with using velocity mode drives with your scales. Even then it's likely to be twitchy to set up. In fact this was also suggested to you at the time.

Using linear scales for secondary feedback in addition to encoders on the motors can in some cases improve accuracy but this is a pretty advanced configuration and off hand I don't know of anyone who has done it with LinuxCNC. It is done on some high end commercial machines.
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?Combining_Two_Feedback_Devices_On_One_Axis

I have purchased and tried a 80V 20A Servo Drive upgrade Geckodrive G320X
DG4S-08020 DCS810 from ebay and it worked well on a small motor.

See above. A motor with a directly connected encoder is easy to set up. If you tried the G320 on your linear scale setup you would have had exactly the same tuning issues.

I think having the servo tuning external to the PC is a good option. This makes the
LinuxCNC servo installation much easier.

I have used position mode drives (step/direction), velocity mode and torque mode with LCNC, Mach, Eding CNC, my own custom controller and others. I've tested Gecko, Mesa, Rutex, Granite Devices, Xylotex, Kinco, Bosch, Yaskawa and others in various configurations so I have a reasonable sample set. In my opinion the best control scheme overall is torque mode with LinuxCNC doing the feedback. Velocity mode comes second and position mode (step/dir) a long way behind.

The drives like Gecko, Rutex R9x series and Xylotex are very basic and you have no way of knowing what following errors you are getting until the drives trip. It's difficult to get a really good tune without knowing what the drive is doing.

Configuring digital drives such as Kinco, Yaskawa etc with a couple of buttons and a tiny LED display is frustrating to say the least. GD, the later Rutex drives Kinco, and many other digital drives have their own tuning software (mostly Windows only) but I haven't yet found one that is easier to use than LinuxCNC with Halscope. Some drives have auto tuning but I've not yet seen auto tuning that does a really good job.

My Hurco mill came with Yaskawa brushless servos in velocity mode. The velocity tuning in the drives was very touchy and I struggled to get a good balance between accuracy and oscillation. Some hunting is to be expected with velocity drives but this was too much for my liking. I then switched to torque mode and my problems went away. No hunting and much lower following error. My lathe is torque mode with Mesa 2KW drives. Again very smooth, no hunting and very low following error. They are not without their issues though (see below). My router uses Bosch analog velocity mode drives. Following error is adequate for a router but being velocity mode they do hunt a bit when the machine is stationary. I will say velocity mode is generally a little easier to tune than torque mode so if you aren't fanatical about pushing the limits of your machine and you can put up with the hunting it's not a bad way to go.

Here are some of my impressions of various drives:

Gecko G320. Step/dir DC brushed. Rather rudimentary feedback loop. Fixed following error limit. You need to take them apart and attach an oscilloscope to tune them properly. I suffered from issues with random tripping that I never fully solved. Physical pots to adjust which is nice. Would I buy again? No.

Mesa 7i29. Analog PWM DC brushed. Cheap and powerful. Generate lots of electrical noise so it's well worth adding some filtering. I had issues with noise pickup on the encoder inputs, to the point where I ended up using them for my handwheels and used a separate encoder board for the servos. The onboard dc-dc converter let the smoke out once but I managed to fix it by replacing a couple of small surface mount transistors. I've run my lathe on this drive for many years and the DC-DC converter circuit looks pretty well designed so I am chalking this one down to random bad luck. Excellent support from Mesa. They even sent me schematics. Would I buy again? The price is tempting but the encoder noise issues put me off. Might be something specific to my setup but I'm not willing to take the chance. I would be very interested to hear anyone else's experiences with this drive.

Rutex R9x series. Step/dir DC brushed. Proper PID loop. Physical pots to adjust. Some control over the following error limit but no way to monitor the following error while tuning. Not bad drives but they have little protection and have a reputation for letting the smoke out when pushed hard. I never killed one even running some pretty huge motors. Would I buy again? Possibly if I needed step/dir. It's a bit of a moot point as they are no longer made. I have no experience with the later models.

Granite Devices. Analog or step/dir, brushless or brushed. I can't remember the model number and this model is out of production. The config software requires a special USB dongle and is a bit laggy and awkward to use. It took a while to get the tuning sorted in step/dir mode. I had some problems with their power up sequence but apart from that they have been rock solid reliable in heavy industrial use. Would I buy again? Maybe but overall I prefer the Kinco drives.

Xylotex. step/dir DC brushed. If you want a small no frills step/direction DC driver they are a reasonable bet. Physical pots to adjust and no control over the following error. Would I buy again? Probably if I needed a small step/dir driver. This one is a bit of a niche market due to it's size.

Kinco brushless. Analog or step/dir. Can't remember the exact model number. Configuration through operator panel (painful) or RS232. The Windows software is a bit quirky but mostly gets the job done, though documentation could be better. Unfortunately my customer point blank refused to use Linux so I used Eding CNC with step/dir and I ended having to do a couple of return visits on site before I got the tuning dialed in. The machine's been operating in an industrial environment for a couple of years with no more issues. Direct mains power so easy to install. Separate 24V DC power for the encoder and logic so you can track the encoder while in estop. Would I buy again? Yes, though I'd try to avoid step/dir.

Bosch analog. These are 80's era velocity mode DC brushed drives and still trucking on. Huge, annoyingly noisy due to their low switching frequency and so much circuitry compared to modern drives. Designed to run on 110V three phase but will work on 110V single phase. They work well but due to their age are crazy expensive to get repaired. I'm told they can do odd things if the tacho brushes wear but I've had no problems. If they ever pop I'll replace them with something a few decades newer.

Yaskawa brushless. Analog or step/dir. I'm too lazy to go into the cold workshop and check the model number. These are fairly old models and configuring through the operator panel sucks big time. Velocity mode is a pain to set up and very sloppy. Didn't try step/dir but if vel mode is anything to go by, probably a nightmare to set up. Work well enough in torque mode. Can't monitor the encoders in estop which is a pain.

All of the above is my personal experience and opinion. Your mileage may vary.

Les