Just a correction, I have setup a few  stepper systems with LinuxCNC and step
and direction is no problem. The problems came in when using 2KW servo drives
and linear scales on the axis. I just could not get the system to respond
correctly. From memory the StepConfig didn't seem to get the drives to work
smoothly. My mistake but I did not know how to fix it.

I have purchased and tried a 80V 20A Servo Drive upgrade Geckodrive G320X
DG4S-08020 DCS810 from ebay and it worked well on a small motor. I think
having the servo tuning external to the PC is a good option. This makes the
LinuxCNC servo installation much easier. '

Cheers Wallace.