> From: Leonardo Marsaglia [mailto:ldmarsag...@gmail.com]
> >
> > BTW,  Here's a link to the video that shows how I screwed up thinking it
> > was in position mode and was losing position with higher velocities.
> > https://youtu.be/cx-kAqdwceU
> >
> > When really it was running in velocity mode.
>

> So if I understand correctly, these drives have the option of driving them
> in velocity mode but with the speed reference being step + dir right?

Yes.   The only reason I have the spindle motor configured as 0-10V + DIR is
that using a single parallel port or 7i92H with LinuxCNC means I only have PWM
available on one of the pins.  Under MACH3 I can select from one of the config
screens (no text files to edit) whether I want the two pins to be STEP/DIR or
PWM/DIR.

So for now to be able to use the dual boot I'm stuck with the PWM to 10V. But
really for what I'm doing I don't really care.  In the future if once I wire up
the second port I can use another StepGen on the 7i92H instead of the PWM and
then switch the drive over to steps to create velocity.  With a 2500 line
encoder x 4 that's 10000 steps per rev.  The motor is rated at 3000 RPM or 50
RPS which means 50 x 10000 = 500kHz.

The drive can also multiply the step inputs with a n/d scale factor to reduce
the number of steps required relative to encoder pulses.  The encoder outputs
mirrored onto the connector can also be scaled by an n/d pair to reduce the
encoder pulse output load on the PC.

John