I think your math is out.  Most of the hi res encoders are running 2500 lines
per rev.  Many are less.    But we're only looking at one encoder channel and
that works out to twice the number of edges but the actual frequency is still
lines per rev per second.

So how many revs per second is that?    You have to divide RPM by 60 to get
revs per second so 3600 RPM is 60 RPS.

Now you have 60 * 2500 Hz = 150kHz.  Still way too high for that opto-isolator.

Now if you do like Sam did for his hex milling you update the encoder.  But
initially he was milling with about 60 teeth and Linux is more than fine for
that when power tapping etc.  So 60 * 60 is 3600 Hz and the opto would be fine
for that.    Even 200 lines at 60 rps  (3600 RPM) is 12,000 hz.

Don't understand how you got 27778Hz

John