On 05/07/2020 06:33 PM, Dan Henderson wrote:
Thanks Gene! I can go down to 48 PPR on the encoder. If I do so, what is
the trade off for reducing resolution on my mill project? Is that enough to
successfully use rigid tapping and synchronized feed/speeds?

48 pulses is 192 quadrature counts/rev, so not too bad. Roughly 2 degrees. I do tons of rigid tapping with 4-40 taps using an 81-tooth gear as the encoder wheel on my Bridgeport. It does just fine.

You do need to have the index pulse hooked up for rigid tapping, lathe threading, etc.

Jon