On Thursday 07 May 2020 13:19:23 Dan Henderson wrote:

> I believe this is open loop. Isn’t PID only used in closed loop
> control?

Its (the PID is) a waste of processor time if open loop. I don't use one
of those in any spindle run by a vfd, the vfd is generally stiff enough
control by itself. If I thread on that machine, it will have a spindle
encoder, but its only job is to glue the axis motion being driven to cut
the thread, to the spindle rotation, in the case of a g33.1, going both
in and out of the hole. If you aren't useing a PID for the spindle, that
leaves motion I think.

I think its time we saw your .hal file. Can you insert it into a mail?

> On Thu, May 7, 2020 at 11:03 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:

> > > This is VERY common in servo systems, and is due to delay in
> > > response of the object being controlled.
> > > You need to slow down the response of the PID to ignore the
> > > delay. This may be possible by adding
> > > D to it.
> > >
> > > Jon
> >
> > But my msg was that a near module generated spindle.N.at-speed was
> > never to be injected into any signal path leading back to a PID.
> > That near's output s/b only to that input to motion, and possibly to
> > an indicator led in the gui so the operator can be advised if its
> > acting funkity. Flickering could be worn brushes in a brushed PMDC
> > motor for instance.
> >
> > What you are describing as delays can often be fixed by the proper
> > re-ordering of the addf's involved for the oscillating axis. That
> > aspect of configuring LinuxCNC hasn't been mentioned recently or I
> > wouldn't even have included that paragraph in my reply.
> >
> > And from Dan's description above, I think this is an entirely
> > different critter from a timeing delay.
> >
> > Cheers Jon & stay well, Gene Heskett
> > --
> > -Ed Howdershelt (Author)
> > If we desire respect for the law, we must first make the law
> > respectable. - Louis D. Brandeis

 - Louis D. Brandeis