On Friday 08 May 2020 22:36:35 Dan Henderson wrote:

> Thanks for the examples. I'm not going to lie, I've got some homework
> to do on this. You guy's make this sound easy but to the new guy
> looking in? No so much, lol

Don't be glum Dan, you've already demo'd to me that you WILL get there.

The fact that LinuxCNC is being further developed, literally as I type
this, even if the basic premise is decades old, can't be emphasized
enough. One of the reasons I posted snips of my old code, old but still
after the new words were added to the hal recipe, was to demo that, far
more than any finger pointing at Jon's example. If it works, its right.

I apologize to Jon if it was taken that way.

I cannot today even run that code, because the hardware under it has
changed.  For the better is an arguable point because that driver Jon
makes is a no compromise device doing exactly what you tell it to do
with zero drama. It can now make that same motor break all sorts of
stuff between it and the chuck it spins if I hadn't taken measures to
tame the violent acceleration that drive is capable of making it do.
OTOH, that 1 hp rated motor can now deliver nearly 2hp because the psu I
built out of junk box parts makes 35 more volts and 10x the current that
cleared the fuse in the OEM configuration. But it also gets the job
done.  Its had stuff in that 5" chuck that weigh half what that whole
lathe weighs, and made the part.

[...]

> > Yes, I'm pretty sure it still does.  But, yes, this is OLD
> > STYLE hal code, for sure.
> > You can combine any newsig / linkps / linksp into one net
> > command, with
> >
> > net signal-name pin pin pin ...
> >
> > And, you don't have to tell it the signal type, it gets it
> > from the first pin.
> >
> > Jon

 - Louis D. Brandeis