On Saturday 09 May 2020 07:50:29 Dan Henderson wrote:

> Good morning Gents— and I use that term loosely ;)

According to one 55-ish checkout lady at the grocery store I resemble
that remark. Easily impressed I think.

Now, putting on my CET hat:

First off, a 2n7000 is an N channel mosfet. Rated at 200 milliamps it
could a bit puny switching a 5 volt relay coil in a relay big enough to
do the job, the 60 volts is fine, but I think I'd feel better seeing
half an amp for a current rating, and thats probably not going to come
in a to-92 package, It s/b ok if the relays run from 12 or even 24
volts.

Your protection diode should be installed such that it turns on if the
drain voltage goes above the supply voltage, or anode to the coil-drain,
and cathode to the + supply rail. Diode current flow is always
considered to be electrons into the point of the arrow.

That means your bob pin output voltage is backwards. It should be  nearly
zero in the m5 (off) state. And near 5 volts in the m4 (reverse on)
state.

Use exactly the same circuit to control the braking relay with the motor
armature connected to the moving contacts so that the braking R is
placed across the motor armature when its enabled, and the output of the
reverse relay is connected to the motors armature when its off.

hal can fix that logic polarity problem at the parport in your hal file.
see man hal_parport for syntax. But it could then be wrong when linuxcnc
isn't running. But it should be ok when the pwm drive is off anyway.

And if no response, you may have already blown that transistor with a
wrongly polarized diode, replace both and try it again.

Also, if useing linuxcnc to drive the bob, linuxcnc must be in the
motion-enabled state before any of this works.

HTH, stay well Dan.

> I’m trying to test out the basic premise of a reversing circuit. I’ve
> got a breadboard on the table here and I’m attempting to send a CCW
> signal from the BOB to a mosfet gating chip (2n7000) middle leg. It’s
> used to switch on the relay coil which in turn activates the DPDT
> switch of the relay. It no workie.  The relay coil requires 12 Vdc. I
> have a diode between pins a and b of the coil otherwise it would
> immediately actuate the contacter. In theory this setup should work. I
> measured output voltage of the CCW pin @ 4.8 vdc high and when on an
> M3 it drops to .387 vdc. Essentially the mosfet holds the ground
> captive until the middle leg receives a signal (CCW) then it allows
> the ground to “source” and the relay should go “click”.
>
> Not sure if any of this makes sense, it barely makes sense to me but
> the circuit was designed by an expert so I’m not going to question
> that, maybe my implementation.
>
> On Sat, May 9, 2020 at 1:15 AM John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com>
wrote:
> > One of the greats in computer science has a series of interesting
> > quotes. https://www.azquotes.com/author/15849-Niklaus_Wirth
> >
> > One I really like is:
> > "The belief that complex systems require armies of designers and
> > programmers is wrong. A system that is not understood in its
> > entirety, or at least to a significant degree of detail by a single
> > individual, should probably not be built." ~ Niklaus Wirth

That statement by Wirth always made me think Seymore Cray had to be
quintuplets. :-)

 - Louis D. Brandeis