On Friday 22 May 2020 12:17:30 John Dammeyer wrote:

> Thanks for catching the spelling mistake.  I'll fix that when I add
> the photos of the Spindle Motor mount plate and motor mount.
>
> I really regret not buying the larger X axis (and horizontal mill)
> version of the G3617.  But at the time it looked like it would take up
> too much space and the extra cost couldn't be justified.  Looking back
> now the $3616 Cdn. (all taxes in) price I paid for it wasn't very
> much.  At least compared to what I'd have to pay now to replace it.
> https://www.grizzly.com/products/Grizzly-9-x-39-2-HP-Horizontal-Vertic
>al-Mill-with-Power-Feed/G0757
>
> It's about $6K US yet for some reason they convert that to almost $11K
> Cdn.
>
> My project #42 is to add an R8 Spindle into the column where there is
> one on the G0757 and an AC Servo to turn it.  And cast up the other
> end to hold the horizontal spindle.   There's no reason I couldn't add
> the horizontal mill feature since the table pivots the same way it
> does on the horizontal mill version.
>
> image of product G0757
>
> Although, with CNC, is a pivoting table even needed for helical gear
> cutting? John

Within the Y table motion limits, no. An if one motorizes the indexer,
and knows his math better than I do, even that limit may vanish. But it
would involve actively driveing the indexer in sync with everything
else.  And that, using the indexer as the helix generator, would be
difficult with std cutters as the top of the tooth would get cut too
narrow.  Easier by far on a cnc'd shaper with the motorized indexer.

I don't personally know how to do it only that in the hands of a creative
mind ONLY the machine mechanics determine what you cab do, linuxcnc has
no limits.

 - Louis D. Brandeis