On Saturday 06 June 2020 07:47:54 andrew beck wrote:

> hey andy
>
> my motor feedback type is a fanuc incremental encoder.  i think it is
> a sin cos.  I did go throught it and checked that it was not a serial
> encoder a couple of months ago but I wil try dig the info out later  I
> think it is 2048ppr
>
> I think they are able to be read without any converters but will check
> later.  in any case though if needed I can get rid of them and use a
> standard incremental encoder if things get desperate.
>
> next question and a answer to your questions..  what does a rectifier
> actually look like?  and how important are the specifations on them.
> eg will a rectifier work with a wide range of voltages and currents or
> is it something that is a bid touchy.  I have never used them
> before...  I think they are just a square block with 4 pins coming out
> of it.  but are not sure

There are many types, some are individual rectifiers, and the 4 pin types
are generally 4 diodes internally connected as a bridge, ratings are
often stamped on them and you will need 600 to 1 kv rateings at 10 or
more amps per motor. Those will have two terminals marked with ~, which
the AC is connected to, and + and- for where the dc comes out. Both the
+ and - outputs are hot to ground, but an isolating transformer driving
th ~ terminals will let you ground the - terminal, but verify its not
connected otherwise first.  Could break the mirror and let the smoke out
of something else in old machinery.

For filters to smooth the dc outout, you'll need voltage ratings in the
450 volt range, and as many micro-farads  as you can get in the box
without tripping the machines service breaker when you turn it on from
overnight cold. I have one machine I over built, tripped a 30 amp
breaker from its 125 volt feed, so it now gets turned with a 50 ohm 200
watt resistor in series with that supply for the first 3 seconds.
Called a soft start by most. Done by controlling a pair of 40 amp Crydom
Solid State Relay's thru timers connected to the f2 button in the .hal
file.

If you would rather use a "packaged" motor supply, then I expect Peter (
mesa) has a solution.  Or Jon Elson (Pico Systems).

> regards
>
> Andrew
>
> On Sat, Jun 6, 2020 at 11:40 PM andy pugh <bodge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 6 Jun 2020 at 12:25, andrew beck <andrewbeck0...@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > So I already have 240volts ac three phase power in the machine.
> > Just need
> >
> > > to rectify it I think.
> > >
> > > I have no idea currently how to rectify ac into DC but it can't be
> > > that hard.  Just need to make sure I get it right lol.  High
> > > voltages are dangerous.
> >
> > What is currently downstream of the  transformer? You probably
> > already have a rectifier and set of smoothing capacitors.
> >
> > Do you guys feel like coaching me through setting them up?   This
> > will be
> >
> > > my 3rd machine I have set up.  So I'm getting better at Hal.  And
> >
> > shouldn't
> >
> > > need to much hand holding.
> >
> > What is your motor feedback type?
> >
> > --
> > atp
> > "A motorcycle is a bicycle with a pandemonium attachment and is
> > designed for the especial use of mechanical geniuses, daredevils and
> > lunatics." — George Fitch, Atlanta Constitution Newspaper, 1912

 - Louis D. Brandeis