On Wednesday 17 June 2020 13:01:34 Chris Albertson wrote:

> Gene,
>

> I just went and looked at the Ender3 printer.  There is one major
> difference between your Ender3 and My Anet A6.   Yours uses a "Bowden
> Tube" type feed system and mine is direct drive.

True.

> So on your system,
> the motor that moves the PLA filament is mounted to the frame and
> pushes the filament into the Teflon tube.   On my printer, the motor
> is an integral part of the print head and those "pusher gears" are
> just a few mm above the nozzle. They use fins and a fan to keep heat
> from the motor. The advantage of your is a lighter head that can move
> faster and more accurately.   Mine has better control of plastic
> quantity and flow rate. People will argue which is best.

Forever.

> So the print heads are just a totally different design.  Mine also has
> two sets of linear bearings and rides on ground steel rods and the
> rods are not part of the frame but are supported by it.   Yours uses
> the frame as a track,
>
> This is why you never get the fan or blower duct on my printer to fit
> yours.   There are two fans on my print head, one cools the PLA after
> it is printed and the other cools the extruder fins that are above the
> heater.

That is the same as here.

> Your printer should be able to make better PLA prints than mine.  But
> mine can print soft materials like TPU.   TPU filament is like a
> "gummy bear" and is very hard to push through a Bowden tube.   I've
> used TPU to make rubber tires for small PLA wheels and rubber
> anti-skid feet and the "skin" over robot fingertips. It is a tough and
> flexible polyurethane.

Sounds interesting but likely hard to control thru a bowden tube due to
its room temp elasticity.

> This explains it
> https://all3dp.com/2/bowden-tube-all-you-need-to-know/
>
> On Wed, Jun 17, 2020 at 4:59 AM Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net>
wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 June 2020 03:20:36 Chris Albertson wrote:
> > > On Tue, Jun 16, 2020 at 10:18 PM Gene Heskett
> > > <ghesk...@shentel.net>

> > > the temperature sensor is uncalibrated.
> >
> > Possibly. I have an ir thermometer but thats a very small target.
> > Thermistors are very well known so I not be willing to accept more
> > than 1 degree of error.

I've started another copy of that pulley half, at lower temps, 210/65 to
start, 205/60 for full run. Mainly because I didn't wait for it to cool,
so the flange on the bottom was distorted upward by the curve the
polycarb sheet as I lifted it off for a trip to the fawcet to cool it.
And it hardened that way. On the restart it acted like it was too far
from the bed at the back, no adhesion, but about a knobs turn cw of the
adjust wheels on the rear of the bed fixed that and it started sticking.
Slowed cura to 100% feed. lowered the temps and resliced it, then copied
the gcode back to the sd card. Again I had to screw around for a long
time before I was able to save a new .mf3 file. That menu is too well
hidden.

Looking good at about 45% done. I touched the new fan duct and wrecked it
with the hot extruder block so I put the first one back on when I
reassembled it.  I'll make another of those next. Maybe I won't have to
paint it to seal it up and stop the air loss?

> > > Using less filament than commanded means it is slipping on the
> > > feed rollers.  There is a pressure adjustment.  On my printer it
> > > is a screw with a spring and you adjust it to control pressure on
> > > the rollers.
> >
> > I'd say its sufficient as I almost have to use a pair of pliars to
> > open it far enough to feed by hand. So I'd discount that slippage
> > theory. The grip is truly a high byte grip.  At the knurled roller,
> > I'd have to guess 75-100 lbs of squeeze.  And the rollers knurling
> > is sharp.
> >
> > > But these are the kinds of details that vary from one printer to
> > > the other.
> > >
> > > If this is a mechanical issue you shouldn't try and compensate
> > > with a software setting.

But it wasn't slippage, so the steps/mm adjustment was the proper fix.
OOTB it was set at a high 92.something, giving a hair over 42.7mm for a
100mm move command.  But that took much of an hour spinning the knob to
advance it to around 245.00 because the tweak is only .01 per
click=damned tired fingers in spite of all the arther itis crap I
take...

The Overture brand pla I bought two kg rolls of, comes with a stick on
bed cover per roll, but its too small for the ender3, by about 5/8" all
around.  And its not magnetic. Looks like I need to cultivate a src for
the real thing or switch to glass.  But I like the idea of removeing it
when fully cooled and flexing it to release the part. Glass doesn't
bend. so that release method doesn't work.

With luck, I'll have that bag of 10 ATS-667's from digi=key yet today and
that will give be enough to fix the G0704, and enough spares I can make
a better one for the big lathe's spindle, and get a big bar holder
modified to hold a tap its its hat.  Next design will hold 2 in one wide
slot with 4 long adjustment screws so they can both work from the same
tooth but be offset adjustable for the needed quadrature. That way both
will see the same tooth wear on the same tooth at the same time and give
better results. I hope anyway.

Thanks Chris.

 - Louis D. Brandeis