well,  I can calculate what the speed needs to be, also I can actually "observe" it too..  by pointing the  telescope at a star and see how much the deviation is.  I have encoder to check the actual speed of a shaft.

I found some information in a manual/tech-sheet that comes with the drivers, so I am trying to figure out what the best stepping rate is and what the best way of actually sending pulses to the stepper-driver is.

I wrote some c-code that runs the motors in pthreads, I just want to know what the best way is.  pulse lengths, pause/gap length etc. (basically the best way to use a dm542  (all those steppers are sorta the same I understand)

The driver tech-sheet  basically says it can do pretty all it's available micro stepping with a 1.8 degree stepper motor, I wonder if that is really true.

Ron