It may just be my age but wouldn't it be easier to just use a 555 (do they
still make them) and a knob to tweak the pulse rate to match the star?  Add
a slew button to change the speed while the button is pushed and a
direction switch to toggle the direction pin on the driver.  I guess I
don't see the need for a computer to run a stepper at a constant speed.

Dave