From: Gene Heskett [mailto:ghesk...@shentel.net]
Sent: Friday, 17 July 2020 9:35 AM
To: emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] question on tooth size vs 3d pulleys

On Thursday 16 July 2020 18:21:28 Frank Tkalcevic wrote:

> >  So what I'm asking is, has anyone printed a pulley
> > that fits & works with these smaller, finer toothed belts?
>
> I use GT 2mm, 20 and 40 tooth pulleys on my robot arm.  Printed on a
> Prusa i3 Mk2.5, 0.4mm nozzle, PLA.  PLA is fine - other plastics may
> have shrinkage problems.

I'm tying to do a 240 tooth GT2_2, but not having great luck. Just the
outside rim as I intend to put it on smooth alu disks to make a 2 stage
geared way down drive for a Meade DS-10 telescope, a drive that can be
controlled from stellarium running on a pi4.  I've just 15 mins ago
started the second pass after reslicing it with a 10C raise in temps. to
210 and 65. The first one might work, but it would need the GT2 belt
mashed into it as there a lot of hair where the teeth belong, and my
theory is that the improved cooling from an after made nozzle fan, is
cooling it to fast for good sticky once it gets away from the bed, so it
tends to drag it along as the head moves. We'll see in an hour or so if
the teeth are going to be well enough defined to be useable.  If this
helps, then I get some of this belting and see it its the right size.
The 5x5 cube I was sent, measures fat, but a 32 tooth for XL belt tests
is as small, so I've expanded the xy scales until a pulley made on it
actually fits in the belt w/o a slack loop in the back.

I'll likely have to repeat for this much bigger pulley. If I can get
useable teeth.  And from the slobbering I'm getting, I suspect I could
drop the steps/100mm of string by around 5%. Thats alright as it came
OOTB totally starved for string.  Set for about 19% of what it needed.

Thanks Frank, you are keeping me from giving up.

 - Louis D. Brandeis