> From: andy pugh [mailto:bodge...@gmail.com]
> On Thu, 16 Jul 2020 at 02:44, John Dammeyer <jo...@autoartisans.com> wrote:
>
> > The stuff that uses  the limit2 was cut and pasted from a web page.  I
> > never expected it to work first time.
> > net spindle-cmd <= motion.spindle-speed-out => spindle-ramp.in
> > The error message is that motion.spinde-speed-out is already assigned.
> > net spindle-vel-cmd-rpm        <=  motion.spindle-speed-out
>
> Use spindle-vel-cmd-rpm as the signal everywhere and it should sort
> out the problem.
>
> You are trying to assign two different signals to the same output.

Not so much that I was trying to assign.  It turns out the 'near' component
name from the pasted code was named the same as the At Speed Indictor in the
pyvcp_panel.hal.  So the conflict was from a different file.

It was easy enough to get the spindle to ramp up slowly by setting the
setp spindle-ramp.maxv 10
although this might be a tad slow but for now shows that motion doesn't start
instantly.

The problem was the LED wouldn’t work since the spindle-at-speed was now a near
component as the pyvcp_panel.hal is loaded last.  Changing that to have led
text at the end solved the name problem.

net spindle-at-speed-led        =>    pyvcp.spindle-at-speed-led

And now the LED switches to green when the ramp value is 'near'  the set value.
net spindle-at-speed-led <= spindle-at-speed.out => motion.spindle-at-speed

However, it doesn't solve my problem.  An M5 or the click on the stop button on
the AXIS interface causes an instant stop rather than a controlled
deceleration.

If I do an S3000 M3 it ramps up nicely.
If I do an S1 then it ramps down nicely and stops since the PWM hardware can't
do 1 RPM.
The M3 is still active and I can do an S200 and it starts up
But if I do an M5 from 3000 RPM it stops now!

What I may do is hardwire the Spindle Servo Motor drive Enable so that the
BRAKE output disables the Drive ENABLE.  Then when the spindle is spinning at
3000 RPM and M5 which turns on the Brake occurs the disabled spindle enable
signal will allow the motor to coast to a halt.  And that means when the
spindle is idle the motor is also disabled.
Or just wire the spindle enable to a separate physical output.

John