The halui jog pin and the matrix_kb pin do move in unison on the halscope, both
with random lag of up to nearly a second.

Also:

This problem is made much worse when the vfd is running. So I suspect have an
Emf or grounding issue.
Is there a way to test the sserial connection? Should this cable be shielded? I
used a standard patch cable with one end chopped off.