If there are caps on the input.  I bet the intent was to be-bounce
mechanical limit switches.   Or at least to filter the switching noise so
that the frequency content is well below the software de-bounce sampling
rate.

I've struggled with how best to de-bounce switches for a long time.  There
is no best answer.   RC filters are not a bad option.

Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California