On Wednesday 06 January 2021 06:08:23 andy pugh wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 03:51, Gene Heskett <ghesk...@shentel.net> wrote:
> > But this would be a true 3d need as it needs correction in both X
> > and Y travel. lincurve isn't made to do that.  So how might that be
> > done?
>
> There was some work done on this several years ago (look at probekins)
> but it wasn't very satisfactory.
>
> The same idea might work well now that we have external offsets.

I'll check that out. I have some experience with that as I'm correcting
bed wear on the Sheldon by diddling x offset according to Z position, so
its within a thou anyplace in the Z travel. To quote an ex Bro-in-law,
its "good enough for the girls I go with". ;-)

> But: Will it help? If the bed is not flat, and you clamp a workpiece
> to it, does the workpiece conform exactly to the shape of the bed? Or
> does the bed distort to match the workpiece?

Depending on what I clamp down, somewhere between I expect.

> How far out of true is it?

A good mm in some of the places I have checked. But now I need to stay at
or below .1mm over a foot of travel for this box mod. I could reclamp
it, and survey it with my throw away renasys(sp?), but am trying to get
enough data I don't have to do it over for each piece I make.

Thanks Andy.

 - Louis D. Brandeis