On 01/06/2021 04:30 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
On Wednesday 06 January 2021 06:08:23 andy pugh wrote:

How far out of true is it?
A good mm in some of the places I have checked. But now I need to stay at
or below .1mm over a foot of travel for this box mod. I could reclamp
it, and survey it with my throw away renasys(sp?), but am trying to get
enough data I don't have to do it over for each piece I make.

Well, there is always hand scraping. I've never done it on aluminum, but I'd guess it might be very similar to cast iron. But, of course, if putting clamps anywhere distorts it more, then
it is kind of a losing battle.

All you need is a known-flat reference surface like a granite surface plate, some blue dye and a scraping tool. You can make scrapers out of large carbide cutting inserts. While Dy-Kem Prussian Blue dye is the best, it is very messy, so I recommend Canode spotting dye.
That is water-soluble.

Jon